Skip to Content


Frequently Asked Questions

Transferring doesn’t have to be complicated. Below are answers to some common questions related to the transfer process, PA TRAC, and Pennsylvania’s statewide transfer policies.

  • Why is my course not listed?

    New equivalencies are loaded to PA TRAC regularly. If you don't see the course you are looking for, it does not mean you will not receive credit. Contact the college where you plan to transfer for more information. Not sure who to contact? College contact information is available on PA TRAC College Profiles.

  • I will be transferring but am not sure where I will transfer. I want to keep the most transfer credits possible. What should I do?

    Students who successfully complete courses that fall into the 6 categories in the Transfer Credit Framework will have their credits transferred and counted towards graduation at any of the participating colleges and universities. Certain majors have specific requirements. You are responsible for working with an advisor to select appropriate courses as they relate to your major of study.

  • Do I need a specific grade point average (GPA) to transfer?

    Some majors require prerequisite courses or a minimum GPA prior to transferring. To find out if your intended major has any special admissions criteria, contact an admissions representative at the college or university where you intend to transfer or look up the institution's College Profile on PA TRAC.

  • Do courses with grades of 'D' transfer?

    Each institution decides its own admissions and transfer criteria. For more information about a college's transfer credit policies, contact an admissions representative at the college or university where you intend to transfer or look up the institution's College Profile on PA TRAC.

  • Why is the university that is evaluating my course transfer request asking for additional materials like a course syllabus, course text, or portfolio?

    The university may need more information in order to determine if the course you took covered the same material as the course offered at the university.

  • When should I apply to transfer?

    Complete and file your admissions applications about a year in advance of the semester in which you plan to attend. This will give you enough time to submit the appropriate application forms and have official college transcripts sent to the college or university for review. Remember, you must have an official college transcript sent directly from the institution where you completed the courses. If you transferred multiple times, then you will need to contact each prior institution. Since it may take at least 6-8 weeks for delivery, make sure you apply early and are aware of any pending application deadlines.

  • When do my credits transfer?

    This will vary from institution to institution. Some colleges will evaluate your credits before you’re admitted, although this evaluation may be considered unofficial. Most will require you to either be admitted or actually be enrolled before completing a transfer evaluation. Be sure you read your new institution’s website or catalog or talk to the Admissions or Records Office to find out how and when your transcript will be processed.

  • Can transfer students participate in athletics?

    Typically, yes, provided the student athlete meets NCAA eligibility requirements. For a list of colleges and universities that currently participate in the statewide transfer system, check out Participating Colleges. Here you will find admission requirements, transfer credit policies, links to the college’s website and admissions site, and transfer information.

  • How will quarter credits transfer into a semester credit system?

    Each quarter credit is equal to 2/3 of a semester credit. Some colleges and universities will multiply your credits by .67; some may use .667 or even .6667. For example, if you took a 4 quarter-credit course, it would equate to 2.67 semester credits at your receiving institution. A 3 quarter-credit course would be equated to 2 semester credits.

    You should be aware that once this mathematical formula is applied to your quarter credits in transfer, you may be short of credits in specific requirements.

  • I am an adult student returning to college after several years of not taking courses. Will my courses still transfer?

    Transfer policies vary from institution to institution, however, generally colleges and universities do not have time limits on when general education courses are taken. You will probably find that college-level general education courses basically count the same as if you had taken them very recently. Technical or major-specific courses, on the other hand, may need to be retaken, as there may be time limits on when they must be taken to meet requirements depending upon the program you plan to pursue. Be sure to check with any institutions you are planning to attend about their transfer policy and your specific situation.

  • Will my technical college credits transfer?

    Each community college, college or university has different policies when it comes to the transfer of technical credits. Students should not assume that a college will transfer or not transfer any or all of their technical credits. Before applying for admission, ask about the transfer institution’s transfer policy as it applies to technical credits.

  • What can I do if a course doesn't transfer?

    Your first action should be to contact the office from which you have received your transfer evaluation. There’s always the possibility that there is a simple misunderstanding or misinterpretation of the information and can be corrected easily. Remember, developmental or remedial courses typically will not transfer.

    If you still feel your credits were not evaluated or transferred appropriately, you should ask about the transfer credit appeals process and then follow this process as provided.

  • How many credits should I complete before transferring?

    There is no set number of credits a student must earn prior to transferring. However, the more credits you have, the more likely a college admissions office is to base your admission on your college GPA and not your high school GPA, school rank and/or SAT scores. Since admission criteria can vary by institution and major, you should speak directly to an admissions counselor at the institution where you plan to attend.

  • How can I find out whether my courses will transfer?

    Counselors and advisors can assist you to know how your courses transfer. You can also check the Search for Equivalencies database in PA TRAC.

  • In addition to using the PA TRAC, do I still need to talk to an academic advisor?

    PA TRAC is a tool designed to assist you in the transfer process. In addition to the information you find on this website, you should also seek the assistance of an advisor or transfer counselor regarding transfer credit. While credits for a course may transfer, an advisor or counselor can help you make sure the course also counts toward your degree and graduation requirements.

  • Why isn't my college listed on PA TRAC?

    PA TRAC is adding new colleges and universities and new courses and course equivalencies all the time. If you don't see the college you are looking for, feel free to contact them directly and encourage their participation.

    For a list of colleges and universities that currently participate in the statewide transfer system, check out Participating Colleges. Here you will find admissions requirements, transfer credit policies and a link to the college’s website, admissions site, and transfer information.